Friday, September 13, 2013

Sagada: Hanging Coffins


So many interesting places to go to Sagada, one of them is the Hanging Coffins. In ancient times in Sagada, they do not bury the dead person’s body, instead they positioned it on a fetal position, put it in a small coffin and hang it in a mountain. I know it may sound weird but that’s what they were practicing for quite sometime before (not ‘til the late 80s). I really wanted to take a photo of myself with the hanging coffins because it looks so cool in a picture. But when I got there and saw the hanging coffins myself, it didn’t feel right to take a photo anymore, the place felt so sacred, I felt that I was invading someone else’s privacy, that I should be respecting it, I don’t know why but it felt so strange to be in there, or maybe because I was just scared of being in a cemetery, it gave me creeps but all the same I really was not that comfortable visiting the place, though the place was something special. They’re not the usual graveyard that you can see anywhere. So, I decided not to take a solo shot with the hanging coffins, but joined the group pictorial... 

The group photo looks so sacred with the hanging coffins as the background.





In every place I visited, I learned something new. Visiting the hanging coffins, made me realized that you don’t have to dig deep to understand things in order for you to respect them, it just come naturally,  I may never be able to understand the ancient Sagadians but I respected them, that’s the less I could do as a visitor to the place they believed sacred. 






                                                                                                                     Xx, Ypai

No comments:

Post a Comment